Re: Unable to open some files in emacs with emacs 25.3.

From: Nick Dokos
Subject: Re: Unable to open some files in emacs with emacs 25.3.
Date: Thu, 14 Sep 2017 13:40:30 -0400

Sharon Kimble <boudiccas@skimble.plus.com> writes:

>> Why is calligraauthor running? Can you take it out of the
>> loop altogether?
>
> calligraauthor is not running until it is called by emacs calling it.

Poor choice of words. I meant: something in emacs is calling calligraauthor.
What is that something? Find it and fix it. There is no way that that something
is built-in to emacs. Have you tried with emacs -Q?

>> Can you run it from the command line and see if it completes?  It
>> seems to pop up a window when I do that, so I'm not sure if emacs is
>> waiting for the application to finish before continuing.
>
> Unfortunately not. calligraauthor opens very easily with no problems on
> its own, and it also opens 'boudiccas.crontab' with zero problems once
> calligraauthor is launched on its own.

But if it is started by emacs, emacs may be waiting for it to finish before
it continues.

> I suspect that there is something hard-wired into the new version of
> emacs which forces emacs to open up some links in calligraauthor,
> instead of emacs itself, as it used to do with emacs-25.1.

I doubt that very much. This is something in your setup. Check your
.mailcap, and the variables that is used to open applications:
org-file-apps and org-file-apps-default-gnus (or -macosz or
-windowsnt, depending on your system).

--
Nick