Re: Switch eshell to simple bash-style completion?

From: Emanuel Berg
Subject: Re: Switch eshell to simple bash-style completion?
Date: Sun, 17 Sep 2017 02:55:43 +0200

Christopher Howard wrote:

> Hi, I've been enjoying using eshell more and
> more, but I can't get used to the default
> completion method where it picks the most
> recently modified and then cycles through.
> Can I make it act like bash and just complete
> up to the last unambiguous letter? I see some
> relevant looking variables, but am not sure
> what to do with them.

Probably what you see is
`eshell-command-completion-function', and
usually when there are alternatives those are
given in the help - also, I can't find any - so
probably you'll have to implement the bash
style yourself :) (Perhaps not as difficult as
it sounds if you can find and reuse some
similar completion mechanism already in Emacs!)

You could just use M-x shell RET if it is just
a bash window you are looking for, of course.

--
underground experts united
http://user.it.uu.se/~embe8573