Re: GNUS with unauthenticated smtp server

From: Emanuel Berg
Subject: Re: GNUS with unauthenticated smtp server
Date: Mon, 18 Sep 2017 02:31:21 +0200

Tory S. Anderson wrote:

> gnutls.c: [1] (Emacs) fatal error: An
> unexpected TLS packet was received.
> gnutls.el: (err=[-15] An unexpected TLS
> packet was received.) boot: (:priority NORMAL
> :hostname gateway.byu.edu :loglevel 1
> :min-prime-bits 256 :trustfiles
> (/etc/ssl/ca-bundle.pem) :crlfiles nil
> :keylist nil :verify-flags nil :verify-error
> nil :callbacks nil) gnutls-negotiate: GnuTLS
> error: #<process smtpmail>, -15
>
> first off, I can't figure out what error -15
> is;

If that (-15) is an error message associated
with the protocols (be it SMTP or SSL/TLS) it
should be in the RFCs.

But it sounds more like something out of the
implementation (gnutls.c) so check out the
documentation for that or even the source
depending on how curious you are.

You can also turn to the Gnus groups, be it
gmane.emacs.gnus.general or
gmane.emacs.gnus.user where there are more
Gnusers per capita than here.

BTW, "An unexpected TLS packet was received" -
sounds like the opening shots of a great
sf/thriller :)

> second, I'm not entirely sure how to simulate
> "Do not check My outgoing server (SMTP)
> requires authentication." (ie how to go
> unauthenticated through my authinfo file).
> Any help would be much-appreciated!

in ~/.authinfo, put

    machine SMTP-SERVER login LOGIN port PORT password PASSWORD

and that should be enough.

The significance of the port could vary from
server to server, however it more often than
not it is

     25  SMTP (plain)
    465  SSL/TLS
    587  starttls

I see you use 25 - but perhaps that's
a VPN thing?

Hint: come up with something else than ">" to
      denote quotes from other sources than
      what has been previously said in the
      thread, where it isn't a quote anymore,
      but a "citation" :)

Hint 2: Nowadays it is Gnus, not "GNUS" :)

--
underground experts united
http://user.it.uu.se/~embe8573