Re: bug#28568: 26.0.60; [eshell] Incompatible change in alias argument h

From: Noam Postavsky
Subject: Re: bug#28568: 26.0.60; [eshell] Incompatible change in alias argument handling (Was: Possible Eshell/Tramp Bug in Emacs 26)
Date: Sat, 23 Sep 2017 10:55:55 -0400

> Jay Kamat <jaygkamat@gmail.com> writes:
>>
>> This is a little bit annoying since it means that I can't share these
>> aliases across emacs25 and emacs26 without problems. One solution I
>> could do is setting `eshell-prefer-lisp-functions' instead of using this
>> alias, but I would have liked to only override sudo (and leave the rest
>> as system). If anyone knows a better solution, let me know!

Another possible alternative is adding "sudo" to
`eshell-complex-commands' (adding `eshell-tramp' to
`eshell-modules-list' does this, see `eshell-tramp-initialize').

    eshell-complex-commands is a variable defined in ‘esh-cmd.el’.
    Its value is ("ls")

      This variable may be risky if used as a file-local variable.

    Documentation:
    A list of commands names or functions, that determine complexity.
    That is, if a command is defined by a function named eshell/NAME,
    and NAME is part of this list, it is invoked as a complex command.
    Complex commands are always correct, but run much slower.  If a
    command works fine without being part of this list, then it doesn’t
    need to be.

    If an entry is a function, it will be called with the name, and should
    return non-nil if the command is complex.

    You can customize this variable.

>> Also, it would be nice if eshell aliases and other configuration were
>> not loaded in an emacs -Q setting.

Yes, that would make sense too.