Re: Changes to message-mode and encoding in Emacs26

From: Alex Bennée
Subject: Re: Changes to message-mode and encoding in Emacs26
Date: Tue, 03 Oct 2017 15:07:00 +0100

Eli Zaretskii <eliz@gnu.org> writes:

>> From: Alex Bennée <alex.bennee@linaro.org>
>> Cc: Eli Zaretskii <eliz@gnu.org>, help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org
>> Date: Mon, 02 Oct 2017 09:36:07 +0100
>>
>> I haven't narrowed it down yet but is certainly during message-do-fcc.
>> It's hard to tell because the work takes place in a temporary buffer but
>> I'm currently looking at the code that does:
>>
>>     (when file
>>       (with-temp-buffer
>>      (insert-buffer-substring buf)
>>      (message-clone-locals buf)
>>      (message-encode-message-body)
>>
>> And wondering how that might of changed.

By the way it is the (message-clone-locals buf) that was introduced in:

  3a9e56d840b5551a90fe9068ee335cc37ed12ef2

that regresses this behaviour. If I comment that line out everything
proceeds as normal. I'm guessing something in that set of local
variables confuses message-encode-message-body?

While I was tracing through the code I noticed it is called twice, once
for the source buffer and again on the temp buffer used for fcc. Maybe
there is some state that gets confused by a "double-encode"?

> Is 'buf' a unibyte buffer or a multibyte buffer?

buf is the source buffer and yes it will be a multibyte buffer by virtue
of utf-8 encoding and special characters.

>> Any idea how to examine the current with-temp-buffer while stepping
>> through in edebug?
>
> You can "C-x b" when Emacs is stopped in Edebug.

The with-temp-buffer doesn't show up on the list until later (where it
is a duplicate created for the purpose of saving the email)

> (Why are we still discussing this issue on this list?)

I was responding to Alexis but I can create a new emacs-devel message if
you want or just post directly to the bugs. I feel we are getting close.

--
Alex Bennée