Re: Updating from Emacs 23.3.1 to 25.3

From: Patricia J. Hawkins
Subject: Re: Updating from Emacs 23.3.1 to 25.3
Date: Tue, 10 Oct 2017 11:38:19 -0400

Congratulations, my combined emacs config files have 1644 lines of actual
not-commented-out code.  (I should REALLY clean them up, but hey, they do work.)
They've been evolving since maybe 1990... I didn't think to capture my first
set of
emacs config files which I started ~1986.

SO, when stuff breaks for whatever reason, here is what I do:

If the break is non-obvious, I just do divide-and-conquer to figure out what
isn't
working in my .emacs or other setup files.

Comment out the bottom half of your .emacs (roughly; obviously you don't break
code
to do this.)  I generally comment it with something like ";;PJH;;" using "string
rectangle" so it's easy to strip out again.

Does that work? Yes? Great!  Drop a comment line at the top of the commented
section:
;;PJH works to here <2017-10-10 Tue>

Strip the comments from the top half of the commented section.  Restart emacs.

Doesn't work? Great! The problem is in the chunk you just uncommented. Comment
out
half of it.  Restart emacs.

Lather, rinse, repeat.

Oh, and if you're not sure if a particular config file is getting read or not,
go put
an obvious error in it. Or add a line that will do something clear and obvious.
 (I call
this, "If you can't fix it, break it worse.")

And as for directories moving around, below is a chunk from a historic .emacs
file of
mine; note the commented-out code.

I had this thing shared with a Windows virtual machine, and running OK on both
the Ubuntu host and OSCAR, the Windows virtual machine, which had my elisp
directory
mounted as z:

Oh, and then I did some fun stuff with guix, but IMO it's not ready for prime
time
yet, so the directory structures from that are commented out too.

I do go for pragmatic over nice...

;; BEGIN .emacs CODE CHUNK
;;
;; (if (equal system-name "OSCAR")
;;     (setq pjh-base-lispdir "z:/elisp"
;;                       pjh-emacs-base-lispdir
"c:/emacs/emacs-23.1-bin-i386/emacs-23.1/"
;;                       custom-file "z:/.emacs-custom.el"
;;                       )
  (setq  pjh-base-lispdir (expand-file-name "~/elisp/")
                        pjh-emacs-base-lispdir "/usr/share/emacs/"
;         pjh-emacs-base-lispdir "/home/pjh/.guix-profile/share/emacs"
         custom-file "~/.emacs-custom.el")
;;  )

;(if
;    (not (equal (expand-file-name "~/elisp") (car load-path)))
    (custom-set-variables
     '(load-path
       (append (list

                pjh-base-lispdir
                (concat pjh-base-lispdir "ljupdate")
;               (concat pjh-base-lispdir "i3-emacs")
                (concat pjh-base-lispdir "g-client")
                (concat pjh-base-lispdir "site-lisp/w3m")
                (concat pjh-base-lispdir "emacs-calfw-master")
;
;
"/gnu/store/02ynsjc924vi2p36dxgz7r7q10wr2k41-profile/share/emacs/site-lisp/" ;
what's in my personal guix installation
;               "/home/pjh/.guix-profile/share/emacs/site-lisp" ; what's in the
base emacs guix installation

;               "/home/pjh/Downloads/guix-0.10.0/emacs/"
;               (expand-file-name "/usr/share/emacs/site-lisp/")

;               (expand-file-name
"/usr/share/emacs/site-lisp/emacs-goodies-el/")
                (concat pjh-base-lispdir "/home/pjh/.emacs.d/elpa") ;stuff
installed from elpa

                )
               load-path
               ))
     )

;(add-to-list 'load-path "/path/to/directory-with-guix.el")
;(with-eval-after-load 'guix-autoloads nil t)
;(require 'guix-autoloads nil t)

--
Patricia J. Hawkins