Re: Emacs pretest: highlight line number in display-line-numbers-mode?

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: Emacs pretest: highlight line number in display-line-numbers-mode?
Date: Fri, 20 Oct 2017 18:42:56 +0300

> Date: Fri, 20 Oct 2017 08:18:02 -0700 (PDT)
> From: Drew Adams <drew.adams@oracle.com>
>
> > > I'd vote for having the current line face have a background colour
> > > set.
> >
> > By default?  Why do you need it by default?  What's wrong
> > with lettng users customize that as they see fit?
>
> We've already answered that:

Who are 'we"?  I was answering to Robert.

> It is not obvious that they have that possibility.  They can't see
> that there are two different faces involved, with the default
> behavior.

Yes, you already said that, it wasn't convincing the first time.  The
documentation exists for a reason.

> The second reason is that showing which line is current
> is helpful.  Anyone who is annoyed by seeing that can
> opt out, customizing the current-line face to look the
> same as the other-line face.

There are several features that show the current line, all of them
optional.  I see no reason to make that on by default now, and in any
case this is a separate issue.  IOW, if you are lobbying for making
the line-number-current face be distinct by default for this reason,
you will have first to convince that making the current line stand out
by default is a good idea.  (And the place to make that argument is
not here.)