Re: How can I make hl-line mode not override the color of rainbow-mode?

From: Yuri Khan
Subject: Re: How can I make hl-line mode not override the color of rainbow-mode?
Date: Fri, 27 Oct 2017 12:02:34 +0700

On Fri, Oct 27, 2017 at 9:24 AM, Emanuel Berg <moasen@zoho.com> wrote:
> Amos Bird wrote:
>
>> Hi, Can we just rewrite rainbow-mode to use
>> overlay instead? Is that a reason that it
>> doesn't do so?
>
> Don't you think you are going overboard with
> this cosmetic detail which only appears in
> rare combinations?

It may be a rare combination for you, because you are using Emacs on a
Linux console that only supports a few colors and therefore it doesn’t
make much sense to use background color for highlighting.

It may be a rare combination overall, counting all users of Emacs together.

But, for a user who likes seeing the current line highlighted at all
times and also wants to highlight CSS colors, it’s going to be pretty
frequent.

(I wish there was a way to make overlays interact better with text
properties. hl-line takes precedence over pretty much any background
color highlighting, including but not limited to hi-lock, rainbow-mode
and Magit branch and tag decorations. The intuitive expectation, for
hl-line, would be that it should override background color only if it
comes directly or indirectly from the default face.)