Re: How can I make hl-line mode not override the color of rainbow-mode?

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: How can I make hl-line mode not override the color of rainbow-mode?
Date: Fri, 27 Oct 2017 12:04:06 +0300

> From: Yuri Khan <yuri.v.khan@gmail.com>
> Date: Fri, 27 Oct 2017 15:33:00 +0700
> Cc: "help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org" <help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
>
> > This could be alleviated by using less intrusive face attributes for
> > the hl-line face.  For example, one could use underline, or
> > bold/slant, or box, or something else that doesn't override the
> > colors, while still making the current line stand out on display.
>
> The idea of hl-line is not to make the current line “stand out” as
> such. It is a delicate balance of several desirable properties:
>
> 1. The current line needs to be immediately noticeable.
>   a. Even if it contains no characters or contains only whitespace.
> 2. The current line should not be too distracting.
>   a. In particular, it must not cause glyphs shifting when point moves.
> 3. The current line is secondary to any characteristics of the text in
> the buffer.

Not everyone has all of these requirements for hl-line, and I think at
least some of my proposals do fit them, even though you didn't like
them (which is okay, but personal preferences do matter here).

IOW, this is an optional feature, used for different reasons.  There
are no absolutely correct and absolutely incorrect opinions here.  The
purpose of my message was to point out a few non-default alternatives
which could improve the quality of life for some of those who read
this list.  I understand and accept that some of the readers could
reject my proposals, per their personal preferences, but that doesn't
mean they should be rejected outright or considered invalid.

As for this:

> I wish there was a way to make overlays interact better with text
> properties.

If you have specific ideas for how to accomplish this, feel free to
describe them (on emacs-devel, preferably), maybe we can do something
about this.  The basic issue here is how to deal with the situation
where two different sources specify the background color of the same
buffer position.  Emacs currently selects one of those 2 sources by
using a priority scheme.