Re: Tell xref to find definitions in Emacs' source code?

From: Dmitry Gutov
Subject: Re: Tell xref to find definitions in Emacs' source code?
Date: Wed, 1 Nov 2017 01:45:11 +0200

On 10/31/17 9:31 PM, Eric Abrahamsen wrote:

Has anyone convinced xref to look up elisp definitions in a local git
clone of the Emacs source code, instead of the installed files? I'm
looking at building a tags table in the source directory, and then
adding a function to `elisp-xref-find-def-functions' that would try to
use the tags table to find a symbol in my git clone.

Does anyone have anything like this on hand?

The easiest way to do that is to build that clone and run Emacs from it.

Like ./src/emacs.

The alternative is to add xref-etags-mode to emacs-lisp-mode, and M-x visit-tags-table. Then you'll just use etags.

Not sure if elisp-xref-find-def-functions can provide a straightforward alternative.