Double-click opens the wrong file

From: Nick Helm
Subject: Double-click opens the wrong file
Date: Wed, 01 Nov 2017 16:07:04 +1300

Occasionally, when I double click a file to edit it, Emacs will visit a
different file instead.

Repeated double clicking visits a succession of incorrect files, until
Emacs eventually settles on the right one.

The files are all ones I have been working with recently, although not
necessarily in Emacs. The visited file need not be in the same location
or even exist at all – Emacs will quite happily visit a recently deleted
file.

Only double clicking files associated with Emacs (26.0.90) seems to be
affected. Visiting with find-file, drag and drop, and the menu-bar, as
well as other versions of Emacs, have the expected behaviour.

I would open a bug, but it feels like an OS problem (I'm on macOS
10.12.6), rather than a flaw in Emacs.

Any ideas what's going on or how to fix/debug this issue?