Re: Is it worth leaving el-get for melpa

From: N. Raghavendra
Subject: Re: Is it worth leaving el-get for melpa
Date: Sat, 04 Nov 2017 11:24:52 +0530

At 2017-11-03T17:44:13-07:00, Deric Bytes wrote:

> I had recently looked at el-get and noticed that the core lisp code
> seemed unchanged for 2 years.

That is perhaps because it is a stable package, which works as expected,
and does not need any fundamental change.  Most of the additions to
El-Get now are either new recipes for packages, or modifications of
existing recipes.

Since the last few years, I have been using El-Get to manage the
installation of packages, and `use-package' to manage their
configuration.  With forms like

(el-get-bundle emacs-w3m
  :type github
  :pkgname "emacsmirror/w3m"
  :build `(("autoconf")
           ("./configure" ,(concat "--with-emacs=" el-get-emacs))
           ("make"))
  :info "doc")

(el-get-bundle emms :url "foo@bar.net:emms.git")

(el-get-bundle mediawiki
  :type github
  :pkgname "hexmode/mediawiki-el")

(el-get-bundle pdf-tools :checkout "2eaffae69a0b9f51b2740b0d6dd795088529e683")

in my init file, I can specify the sources of packages, the commands for
building them, their versions, etc.  This system has been working well,
and I have not needed to use another package manager.  In particular, I
don't use either the built in package system, or MELPA.

You may also want to look at

https://github.com/raxod502/straight.el#advantages-of-el-get

Regards,
Raghu.