Re: tramp and shell, problem on windows 7

From: Michael Albinus
Subject: Re: tramp and shell, problem on windows 7
Date: Sat, 04 Nov 2017 16:25:43 +0100

Eli Zaretskii <eliz@gnu.org> writes:

> And second, I don't recommend users to set explicit-shell-file-name,
> as that makes Emacs use a shell that might be different from the one
> used by the system.  Users who do this should know very well what they
> are doing, because it could get them in trouble.

Hmm. The documentation recommends its use, see
(info "(emacs) Interactive Shell")

And the Tramp manual explains how to set it differently for every remote
host, see (info "(tramp) Remote processes")

What else do you recommend on remote systems?

> I think the first question here is why do we see cmdproxy there.  On
> Windows, shell-file-name is set to cmdproxy, but why does Tramp use
> that value?

I could try to dig, if I get traces produced by (setq tramp-verbose 6)
But this tells only the Tramp part of the story. I suspect, we are faced
with settings outside Tramp.

Best regards, Michael.