Re: killing the result of isearch

From: Jean-Christophe Helary
Subject: Re: killing the result of isearch
Date: Wed, 8 Nov 2017 00:28:55 +0900

> On Nov 8, 2017, at 0:08, Loris Bennett <loris.bennett@fu-berlin.de> wrote:
>
>> Emacs is not a text editor, it is
>> a Lisp virtual machine with text editing functions.
>
> According to https://www.gnu.org/software/emacs/ GNU Emacs is:
>  An extensible, customizable, free/libre text editor — and more.

Obviously. Who wants a Lisp virtual machine nowadays.

> My point was that you are comparing the editing idiom of Emacs, which
> arose in the 1980s, with that of more modern editors.  In addition, you
> are talking about what you need, rather than what "users" need.

No, I am actually talking about expectations from using emacs where regions are
highlighted, like what isearch seems like doing. What I am seeing is what looks
like a region (and except for the active match, all the others are highlighted
exactly as a region would be), but it doesn't act like a region. So there is a
UI promise that's broken.

Jean-Christophe Helary
@brandelune http://mac4translators.blogspot.com