Re: killing the result of isearch

From: Jean-Christophe Helary
Subject: Re: killing the result of isearch
Date: Wed, 8 Nov 2017 07:34:48 +0900

> On Nov 8, 2017, at 1:24, Drew Adams <drew.adams@oracle.com> wrote:
>
>> Who wants a Lisp virtual machine nowadays.
>
> I do.  What better plaything is there?

:-) I was just pointing at the fact that saying Emacs is a text editor is
merely marketing...

>> I am actually talking about expectations from using emacs where regions
>> are highlighted, like what isearch seems like doing. What I am seeing is
>> what looks like a region (and except for the active match, all the others
>> are highlighted exactly as a region would be), but it doesn't act like a
>> region. So there is a UI promise that's broken.
>
> That's not what I see in vanilla Emacs: `emacs -Q'.

Interesting. When I do that on one of my local files (with an emacs I built a
few days ago) I do get the current match highlighted in purple and the other
matches highlighted in blue (after testing a region is highlighted in a
slightly different color). The cursor is blinking at the end of the first match.

So it looks as I wrote: this looks like a region, with a cursor blinking where
point it, but it does not act as one.

What matters here is not the color, but the fact that point has moved and
something that looks like a region is formed. Hence the expectation. And
really, if that "object" exists on screen, I'd love to be able to capture it
somehow.

Jean-Christophe Helary
@brandelune http://mac4translators.blogspot.com