Re: Compiling Emacs from Source

From: Emanuel Berg
Subject: Re: Compiling Emacs from Source
Date: Wed, 08 Nov 2017 00:58:58 +0100

Robert Thorpe wrote:

> Recently there was some discussion about
> upgrading Emacs. Package managers and distros
> were discussed.
>
> I have a more basic question. The distro I'm
> using doesn't provide Emacs 25, I'm still on
> 24.4. So, I want to compile Emacs 25.
>
> The problem for me is the configuration
> flags. I don't understand them that well.
> What configuration flags would this
> list recommend?

I think it is very difficult to give a good
answer *in general*... Isn't there a tutorial
somewhere how to compile Emacs? Or even better,
a script that figures it out for you :)

I'm going to compile the latest version right
now because I have an issue with Gnus and
SSL/TLS, and got the suggestion I upgrade
Emacs, so if that makes me any wiser with
respect to this question I'll get back with
details :)

--
underground experts united
http://user.it.uu.se/~embe8573