Re: killing the result of isearch

From: Jean-Christophe Helary
Subject: Re: killing the result of isearch
Date: Thu, 9 Nov 2017 07:44:12 +0900

> On Nov 9, 2017, at 7:24, Tomas Nordin <tomasn@posteo.net> wrote:
>
> Jean-Christophe Helary <jean.christophe.helary@gmail.com> writes:
>
>> No, I am actually talking about expectations from using emacs where regions
>> are highlighted, like what isearch seems like doing. What I am seeing is
>> what looks like a region (and except for the active match, all the others
>> are highlighted exactly as a region would be), but it doesn't act like a
>> region. So there is a UI promise that's broken.
>
> Does this imply that in a read-only buffer, there must be no highlighting of
> the match for you not to say the UI is broken?

Read my text again, and read your question one more time. You probably have the
answer you need by now.

> You cannot act on the text there.

I can certainly M-w on any region I like. A region is a region, regardless of
the buffer state, afaiu.

> Or, in a read-only buffer, is it good that the match(es) are highlighted? Why?

I may be thick, but it does look like you're trying to make me look like a
fool, when it is you who do not seem to properly understand the issue I'm
talking about.

Do you actually have anything useful to add to the thread?

Jean-Christophe Helary
@brandelune http://mac4translators.blogspot.com