RE: Transposing words over middle words

From: Drew Adams
Subject: RE: Transposing words over middle words
Date: Sat, 18 Nov 2017 20:58:22 -0800 (PST)

> It was introduced in Emacs 25.  It is what used
> to be called `save-excursion'. ;-)
>
> Why they didn't instead leave `save-excursion' with
> its longstanding behavior and create a new function
> (e.g. `save-point' or whatever) to do what the
> Emacs 25+ `save-excursion' does, I don't know.  That
> would not have been backward incompatible.
>
> The Emacs NEWS says only this:
>
>  ** 'save-excursion' does not save&restore the mark any more.
>  Use 'save-mark-and-excursion' if you want the old behavior.
>
> Of course, if you want the old behavior in both
> old and new releases, now you have to call one
> or the other conditionally, testing
> (fboundp `save-mark-and-excursion').

This seems to be what was responsible for the change:

commit 599ca626d760215b090012c69c749d391cfd6fbe
Author: Stefan Monnier <address@hidden>
Date:   Wed Mar 25 09:47:12 2015 -0400

    `save-excursion' does not save&restore the mark any more

Searching the emacs-devel mailing-list archives for
`save-mark-and-excursion' I don't find any discussion
about introducing it.  I find only an occurrence that
mentions that commit:

http://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/emacs-devel/2015-12/msg01596.html

Searching the bug list I find only two occurrences,
which are from the year after that 2015 commit.