Re: return first element in list with certain property

From: Emanuel Berg
Subject: Re: return first element in list with certain property
Date: Sat, 25 Nov 2017 20:45:26 +0100

John Mastro wrote:

> I do think it's perfectly reasonable to use
> seq.el and support only Emacs versions >=
> 25.1.

So if I do, I don't need to "package-require"
it in the commented package header? It
will be enough with just a `require'?

However since the "package-require" was
supposed to be transparent, and not download
anything unless needed, doesn't that amount to
- if I put it there - it will be installed on
< 25.1, but not installed on version where seq
is part of vanilla Emacs?

Or is this "in theory" only?

> I agree that some users won't be comfortable
> compiling Emacs (or any program) themselves.
> However, I don't agree that "upgrading
> [Emacs] is risky", it's "a non-starter", or
> that "nobody understands [build options]",
> especially not for users on GNU/Linux or
> Unix-like systems in general.

I think the last quote was a way of saying "it
is difficult" - which you and I don't agree on
anyway :)

But as for the build options, what options is
it that are difficult to understand?
They should be documented somewhere if they are
not self-explanatory or conventional enough -
there should be comments in code at the very
least. Try understanding them one by one
instead of grouping them together claiming them
beyond mere users. And if everything fails,
just use the default ones and be a happy Emacs
user ever ever :)

> More generally, I want to note that I didn't
> say "there are no downsides to using seq.el
> in place of cl-lib" or "there's no case for
> supporting Emacs versions < 25.1". However,
> particularly for a new package with no
> existing users

Yes, one :) And not just anyone, either :))

--
underground experts united
http://user.it.uu.se/~embe8573