Re: other-frame-window.el --daemon mode bug?

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: other-frame-window.el --daemon mode bug?
Date: Mon, 27 Nov 2017 21:41:59 +0200

> From: Thorsten Bonow <thorsten.bonow@withouthat.org>
> Date: Mon, 27 Nov 2017 19:47:18 +0100
>
> emacs -Q --daemon
>
> Connect to the server:
>
> emacsclient -c -n
>
> In the '*scratch*' buffer enter and eval:
>
> (require 'other-frame-window "/path/to/other-frame-window.el")
> (other-frame-window-mode t)
>
> 'C-x 9 b' is supposed to open a buffer (defaults to the "*Messages*" buffer)
> in
> another frame.  On pressing return, Emacs becomes stuck in the minibuffer.
> The
> command times out after a while and can be interrupted with 'C-g', but no
> frame
> is created.
>
> After firing up Emacs with 'emacs -Q', everything works as expected.
>
> Can someone please confirm this?

Confirmed.

> The library comes as a GNU package, not included in my Emacs[1].  In case it's
> a bug, can I just report it as an Emacs bug?

As someone who gets to read, triage, and then handle at least some of
those bug reports, I'd prefer that you first reported this to the
author of the package.

(A cursory look I took seems to indicate that the problem is with the
way this package selects a frame to switch to: it attempts to select
the initial frame created by the daemon, which is not usable for
displaying anything.  But I might be missing something.)

Thanks.