Re: want a file format easily edited and read by emacs that allows (mult

From: Emanuel Berg
Subject: Re: want a file format easily edited and read by emacs that allows (multiple) pictures to be included
Date: Tue, 05 Dec 2017 14:44:10 +0100

tomás wrote:

>> So it *is* a tool, an IDE if you will, to
>> generate data into different formats. OK, no
>> further questions.
>
> It's more... and less. For example I have
> a diary where I keep the things I've done

I would just use a plain text buffer for that.

>> PS. No wonder it was so difficult to find an
>> example what good actually ever came out of
>> it :)
>
> No. It's because you seem to be blind on some
> eye. That may be just because you don't miss
> what Org might bring to you, and that would
> be OK.

I have yet to see the one thing it can do for
me that I don't already have. If it can glue
plain text, HTML, LaTeX/PDF and more together,
and provide tools and shortcuts to produce and
convert between formats, this is what I would
call an IDE and I'm not into that as I've yet
to see such a system that does not reduce the
degree of precision and intimacy with which
I can solve such issues directly by
manipulating the material first hand. All such
in-between layers, in my experience, only makes
for fiddling with the IDE, trying to figure out
how to make it do what you want, instead of
fiddling with the material itself which is the
thing and the activity that appeals to me.

--
underground experts united
http://user.it.uu.se/~embe8573