Re: want a file format easily edited and read by emacs that allows (mult

From: Kevin Buchs
Subject: Re: want a file format easily edited and read by emacs that allows (multiple) pictures to be included
Date: Tue, 05 Dec 2017 14:49:41 +0000

Emmanuel,

It seems to me you didn’t get a complete answer to your question of the use
of the org+embedded image. Of course, the OP is the best one to answer, but
here is what I gleaned.

1. OP requested a method to create & edit a document in emasculated that
would include images that were visible during editing and used minimal
markup. Org Filled that need.

2. The OP next requested a way to have a single file document with the
images embedded within that file. Think Microsoft Word documents. Transport
and sharing are two tasks that are simplified with just a single file, but
the OP may have other use cases. It also simplifies the file-system foot
print and “remembering” which image file goes with which document.

3. Marcion (sorry about incorrect spelling) created a quick answer,
although it didn’t fully satisfy the OP requirements. It uses org, which
still requires an independent file for each image, but it now carries Elisp
code to regenerate the images. So now the single file contains everything
you need to view and edit, but you need to execute the elisp if the image
files don’t exist. The export to PDF or HTLM are supported by org mode.

Kevin Buchs
(My master org-mode file is over 3 MB and contains all my notes for work
and personal life)