Re: want a file format easily edited and read by emacs that allows (mult

From: Yuri Khan
Subject: Re: want a file format easily edited and read by emacs that allows (multiple) pictures to be included
Date: Fri, 8 Dec 2017 01:50:50 +0700

On Fri, Dec 8, 2017 at 1:31 AM, Emanuel Berg <moasen@zoho.com> wrote:

>> For HTML, use SVG instead.
>
> Again, what's wrong with PNG? I always used it
> for both PDF and HTML.

PNG is a bitmap format. Every time you export a vector drawing into
PNG, it gets rasterized, most probably to a resolution 96 dpi. It
looks okay on most computer monitors at 100% zoom. However, on a
bigger zoom, or on a HiDPI monitor, or in print, it becomes either
blurry or jaggy.

The problem is somewhat less serious if you specifically generate an
oversampled bitmap, at 200 dpi or higher. But you then get all the
disadvantages of huge bitmap images, such as file size, decoding time,
and memory consumption.

> How would one convert all the PNGs into SVGs?
> convert(1) ?

Nohow. Rasterization is, for most intents and purposes, irreversible.
If you have PNGs made from sources that are vector in nature, your
best bet is to throw them away and re-generate vector graphics from
your sources.