Re: want a file format easily edited and read by emacs that allows (mult

From: Eric S Fraga
Subject: Re: want a file format easily edited and read by emacs that allows (multiple) pictures to be included
Date: Fri, 08 Dec 2017 09:23:43 +0000

On Thursday,  7 Dec 2017 at 20:02, Emanuel Berg wrote:
> Well, well, WELL! :)
>
> You are bound to see a lot before your eyes pop
> out of their holes!

:-)

> But it works exactly as you say!
>
> The speed of producing documents is much
> higher, no doubt.

Yes.  I do all of my technical (and other) writing in org now despite
having used LaTeX directly since the mid-80s.  (and troff before that
;-))

Plus it has the benefit of all the task management and table
manipulation features thrown in.

It does help to know LaTeX as I often do need to bring in some specific
LaTeX directives into the org file but generally org allows me to worry
about content and not formatting (in the same way that LaTeX does when
compared with word processors).

Further, for me, knowing that I can always in the end export the whole
document to LaTeX means I have a fallback should the final document
require significant LaTeX customisations (as some journals
require).  However, this seldom has been required and I have submitted
quite a few articles now that were done completely in org.

And, finally, should it become absolutely necessary (yech), I can export
to ODT and I have a word processor version for those annoying publishers
that require DOC documents.

> Tho it might be detrimental to the user (or
> some of them at least) in the long run as it
> focuses on superficial qualities and lend
> itself to "snippet programming" where the goal
> is the document itself rather than the other
> way around which is documenting technology...

Well, in my case, the goal is often the document.  However, it may also
be the code where each block of code (e.g. function or method) becomes a
separate src block with detailed commentary in normal text (with
structure therefore).  You can then "tangle" the code blocks into the
full source files.  Cf. literate programming.

Example: http://www.ucl.ac.uk/~ucecesf/fresa.html

--
Eric S Fraga via Emacs 27.0.50, org 9.1.4