Re: want a file format easily edited and read by emacs that allows (mult

From: Dan Hitt
Subject: Re: want a file format easily edited and read by emacs that allows (multiple) pictures to be included
Date: Fri, 8 Dec 2017 11:37:30 -0800

On Fri, Dec 8, 2017 at 1:26 AM, Eric S Fraga <e.fraga@ucl.ac.uk> wrote:
> Also, with reference to the OP, I am not sure Emacs can display inline
> PDF images as it can PNG and other bitmap images.  Maybe it can.  Never
> tried!

Thanks Eric for the suggestion.

I think it can (i just tried looking at some PDFs and the images show
up, including some that sure look like full color bitmaps), but it
tends to be slow, and most importantly the PDF files not editable.
(Or at least i think they're not, i've sure been wrong on other
things.)

That's also reasonable, because the PDF standard is very complex --- i
think writing a parser for pdf is probably comparable to writing an
interpreter for some pretty featureful language (??).

That's why i was looking for some really simple format.  For example,
some very early version of some word processor format, which has
enough complexity that it can inline images and show text, but not
dozens of features.

Is there some early word processor format, which can display both text
and images, for which there is a free editor whose sources span say no
more than a dozen files?  (Library requirements would not count
against the dozen files :). )

Such a format is probably what i'm looking for (as it is conceivable
that a responsive emacs mode could be written for it at some point).

Anyhow, i appreciate everybody's ideas, and i'm really enjoying org
mode, even though i'm still quite clumsy with it.

dan