Re: Gnus: Thread notes?

From: Eric Abrahamsen
Subject: Re: Gnus: Thread notes?
Date: Thu, 14 Dec 2017 09:54:22 -0800

On 12/14/17 18:25 PM, Michael Heerdegen wrote:

>> That's a lot of entries! You can set `gnus-registry-max-entries' to a
>> lower number
>
> I think I only use the "3. Store custom flags and keywords" and
> "4. Store arbitrary data" features of the registry.  I guess I don't
> need thousands of registry entries therefore.  But
> `gnus-registry-max-entries' doesn't seem to be the right tool - won't
> pruning also delete data that an explicit action (like adding a registry
> mark) created?

The registry also has the concept of "precious" keys -- any entry that
has a "precious" key won't be pruned at all (this is how Gnorb prevents
its data from being deleted). `gnus-registry-extra-entries-precious'
is '(mark) by default, so anything with a custom flag will be preserved.

> It would be better to prevent the entries I don't need to land in the
> registry at all.  Should I just push a catchall rule to
> gnus-registry-ignored-groups, or would then the "3." and "4." features
> also stop to work?

You can set marks on a message even if it's in an ignored group, so you
should fine ignoring more groups. The registry is also useful for other
things (tracking moved articles, etc), so I wouldn't choke it too badly.
At some point I will implement "quick searching", which would let you
use the registry to quickly recall articles you've viewed recently,
without having to mark groups, etc. In that case, you'd be happy to have
a larger registry.

My recommendation is to shrink the size of your registry until you don't
notice a slowdown, and then just relax :)