Re: [el-search] How to search string excluding docstring?

From: Michael Heerdegen
Subject: Re: [el-search] How to search string excluding docstring?
Date: Mon, 25 Dec 2017 17:59:25 +0100

Emanuel Berg <moasen@zoho.com> writes:

> Tell us again why one can't just use grep to search Elisp? :)

There are tasks where grep isn't enough, like "find all uses of cl stuff
where I have forgotten the cl- prefix", "find all definitions that have
no docstring", "find all function "foo" calls that make use the third
optional arg", etc.

It can also do list-level query-replace.  Some examples: "I've changed
my function "bar" so that the second and third argument are now
transposed.  Let's adopt every use of it and transpose the expressions
at the second and third argument position."  Or "automatically transform
any nested if's into an equivalent `cond'", or "find any `if'
expressions that have no `else' and make them a "when", and such stuff.

Michael.