auto-fill in message mode filling with prefix "> "

From: Eric S Fraga
Subject: auto-fill in message mode filling with prefix "> "
Date: Tue, 02 Jan 2018 16:23:31 +0000

Hello,

I use emacs snapshot on Debian.  Recently, but cannot say when exactly,
my email composition has started behaving strangely with respect to
auto-fill mode.  Specifically, if I'm responding to an email, as I type,
long lines get auto-filled with "> " as the prefix.  The first line of
the paragraph does *not* start with "> " and I usually have at least one
blank line between the paragraph I am typing and any included text from
the original email.

I have searched my configuration for anything that would affect this but
I have nothing.  When it comes to auto-fill, I've left everything as
default as far as I can tell.

Any suggestions on how to track this down would be welcome.

Thank you.
--
Eric S Fraga via Emacs 27.0.50, org 9.1.6