Re: Emacsclient does not raise frame

From: Rusi
Subject: Re: Emacsclient does not raise frame
Date: Wed, 3 Jan 2018 04:13:23 -0800 (PST)

On Wednesday, January 3, 2018 at 5:25:13 PM UTC+5:30, Andrew Savonichev wrote:
> Hi Rusi,
>
> > Because currently if
> > - emacs is started as --daemon
> > - emacsclient is started without -c
> >
> > It tries to open non-GUI emacs
>
> So  your problem is that if no emacs frame is running, emacsclient without
> '-c'
> creates a new terminal frame instead of a new GUI frame?
>
> In this case, I don't know any built-in way to do this without going
> into elisp hacking
> around `frame-list', `frame-parameters' and `make-frame-on-display'.

Its really just a little bug: Emacs tries to open itself in a terminal even
when there is none!

> > Ive managed to get firefox to call emacs(client) and save
> > links+description(title)+selection(in firefox; optional) into an org mode
> > capture buffer.
>
> Can you share the solution for Firefox?

This is more convoluted than I can describe in short!!

There is this bookmark put into the bookmark toolbar of firefox

javascript:location.href='org-protocol://capture?'+'&url='+encodeURIComponent(window.location.href)+'&title='+encodeURIComponent(document.title)+'&body='+encodeURIComponent(window.getSelection());

The receiving template is:

(setq org-capture-templates '(("w" "Web site"
                               item
                               (file+headline "~/org/inbox.org" "Web")

Nevertheless getting org-protocol registered with firefox is one headache
Figuring out when a ".desktop" file is used and when a normal executable is
another