Re: count regexp hits

From: Emanuel Berg
Subject: Re: count regexp hits
Date: Thu, 04 Jan 2018 19:47:24 +0100

Re: count regexp hits
Drew Adams wrote:

> `C-h f count-matches':
>
> count-matches is an alias for `how-many' in
> `replace.el'.

OK, thanks.

(defun count-regexp-hits (regexp)
  (interactive "sregexp: ")
  (let*((region (if mark-active
                    `(,(region-beginning) ,(region-end))
                  `(,(point-min) ,(point-max)) ))
        (start (car  region))
        (end   (cadr region)) )
    (count-matches regexp start end t) ))

> (count-matches REGEXP &optional RSTART REND
> INTERACTIVE)
>
> Print and return number of matches for REGEXP
> following point. When called from Lisp and
> INTERACTIVE

Here the docstring mentions the arguments out
of order but I suppose that truly is
"bike-shedding" even tho I don't like that
expression since everyone knows that bikes in
light, bright colors (e.g., orange, cyan, and
ocean blue) are faster than bikes with trunky,
black and brown frames...

--
underground experts united
http://user.it.uu.se/~embe8573