Re: info-find-source

From: Emanuel Berg
Subject: Re: info-find-source
Date: Fri, 12 Jan 2018 22:24:12 +0100

Bob Proulx wrote:

> Unfortunately info searching being
> interactive I don't know of a way to
> benchmark it. I can only say that the time
> between invoking a search and the display of
> the match is so fast that I find it
> imperceptible. It "feels" like 0.05 seconds
> or faster. (I played with "time sleep 0.05"
> and numbers in that range felt about the same
> as searching for random things in the emacs
> info manual.) At that speed even if search in
> a raw text file was faster in absolute time
> I just wouldn't care because it is well below
> my interactive threshold of noticing any
> delay at all.

What I can see, info, i.e., the framework, is
just a bunch of sparsely annotated and
highlighted hypertext.

Because I don't spend a lot of time with info,
and isn't active with it myself, I do not
care about the markup.

As for the interconnectivity, I was never fond
of moving back and forth by hitting any other
buttons than those on my keyboard, which
I don't think need re-wiring for the purpose of
browsing documentation.

So to me, I can just as well, or better
actually, access the entire manual of a piece
of software by means of a huge text file.

It is more honest. No gleaming links that lures
you into doing something else just because you
can. No new keystrokes to learn and no new
hooks to fill with Elisp. Same old - great -
stuff to use.

--
underground experts united
http://user.it.uu.se/~embe8573