Re: info-find-source

From: Robert Thorpe
Subject: Re: info-find-source
Date: Wed, 17 Jan 2018 00:13:16 +0000

Emanuel Berg <moasen@zoho.com> writes:

> I don't know how cheques work but people use
> them so they must serve some purpose. Here,
> credit cards are now legio and people pay
> everything with them.

They're simple for the person recieving the payments and good for
irregular or one-off payments.

Take my accountant for example.  I pay him by cheque.

He doesn't have a card payment machine, his business isn't large so he
probably can't justify getting a machine.  I could pay cash but it would
be more than I usually carry.  So, I'd have to make a special trip to an
ATM.  Then there's the risk of losing cash or of crime.  He has the same
risks, so he wouldn't like cash either.

I could use the electronic payment feature of my bank's website.  The
problem there is that he would need to give me his bank details.  Those
may change in the future, so I'd have to ask him every time.  Then, I
only have 14 characters to identify the transaction.  On my cheque book
stub I have as much as I can write in, which is a lot more.

I use cheques much less often than I did.  I only write maybe 10-20 per
year.  I used to write maybe three times as many.

This is getting really off-topic.  So, I'm not going to say anything
more about it.

BR,
Robert Thorpe