Re: try-this-for ?

From: Emanuel Berg
Subject: Re: try-this-for ?
Date: Thu, 18 Jan 2018 13:59:17 +0100

tomas wrote:

>> True concurrency isn't possible even for
>> multicore architectures IIUC.
>
> To a certain extent yes: the processors/cores
> have to cooperate to access common resources
> (e.g. memory), but as long as they are
> operating e.g. from local cache they do run
> in parallel.

Yes, but I meant with respect to Emacs, can one
have, for example

    (let*((value-one (compute it))    ; on CPU1
          (value-two (compute it)) )) ; on CPU2

execute in parallel?

> central event loop

Is this the KERNEL?

> to "keep running", you have to explicitly
> (that's the "explicit" part in what I labeled
> as "explicitly cooperative") give a chance to
> this input queue to run from time to time.
> Perhaps (sit-for 0) is your friend (it would
> trigger a redisplay), perhaps something else

The problem with yielding is it won't work to
interrupt something that has put Emacs into
a hanged state...

--
underground experts united
http://user.it.uu.se/~embe8573