Re: xterm vs gnome-terminal and all-the-icons.el

From: Emanuel Berg
Subject: Re: xterm vs gnome-terminal and all-the-icons.el
Date: Thu, 25 Jan 2018 09:11:47 +0100

Yuri Khan wrote:

>> I noticed that the emacs all-the-icons.el
>> works in gnome-terminal, but not in xterm.
>> I'm curious if its possible to get the same
>> effect in xterm. Does anyone have
>> this working?
>
> I am not familiar with all-the-icons, but if
> it involves a custom font, it will require
> a terminal emulator that supports font
> fallback. Xterm does not.

Shame on you if you don't know what
"font fallback" is:

    A fallback font is a reserve typeface
    containing symbols for as many Unicode
    characters as possible. When a display
    system encounters a character that is not
    part of the repertoire of any of the other
    available fonts, a symbol from a fallback
    font is used instead.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fallback_font

--
underground experts united