Multilingual Font Control

From: Richard Wordingham
Subject: Multilingual Font Control
Date: Thu, 25 Jan 2018 08:26:06 +0000

I don't use Thai in Emacs very often at the moment, and I hit a display
problem when I had to use it urgently the other night.  I used
describe-char to identify the immediate cause - Emacs was using the
barely readable 'handwritten' font Purisa instead of the usual
default, Kinnari.

I've fixed the problem for many purposes by simply adding the line

(set-fontset-font "fontset-default" 'thai "Kinnari") ;; Def. not Purisa

to my .emacs.  However, this command looks as though it may not work
well with font-locking, which may select other font sets.  Is there
some other method I should use?  I need to specify a font for other
character ranges, so I currently have:

(set-fontset-font "fontset-default" '(#x1a20 . #x1aad) "Da Lekh")
(set-fontset-font "fontset-default" '(#x13000 . #x1342f) "NewGardiner")
(set-fontset-font "fontset-default" 'thai "Kinnari") ;; Def. not Purisa

Richard.