Re: ask for the value of several variables at once

From: Uwe Brauer
Subject: Re: ask for the value of several variables at once
Date: Thu, 08 Mar 2018 18:56:34 +0100

   > On Thu, Mar 08, 2018 at 04:52:27PM +0100, Uwe Brauer wrote:

   > That's called `list' :-)

   > Try this (I did some indentation cosmetics, hope that's OK)

   >   (defun my-ask-mail-yank ()
   >     (interactive)
   >     (list
   >       (describe-variable 'sc-citation-leader)
   >       (describe-variable 'sc-reference-tag-string)
   >       (describe-variable 'message-yank-cited-prefix)
   >       (describe-variable 'message-yank-prefix)))

   > If you want to get fancy, you might try:

   >   (defun my-ask-mail-yank ()
   >     (interactive)
   >     (mapcar #'describe-variable
   >             '(sc-citation-leader sc-reference-tag-string
   >               message-yank-cited-prefix message-yank-prefix)))

Thanks but none worked as I expected.

I want to have  an output like this

sc-citation-leader "    "
sc-reference-tag-string ">>"
message-yank-cited-prefix "   >"
message-yank-prefix "  >"

Say, best with the documentation text suppressed.

   > Although I'm a bit confused on what you really want to
   > achieve, I must admit.

What is the purpose? Well I have since ages set
these variables in a way to obtain and indentations + the >

This is why you see your quotations with that indentation space. Now in
some newsgroup this is disliked and no indentation is preferred. I am
using gnus so I thought that via gnus-group-customize I could set these
variables just for the group. But for some reasons this does not work.

Since I was not sure which of the variable really is responsible for the
indentation I wanted to find a way to ask their values in one go.