Persistence of variables

From: Marcin Borkowski
Subject: Persistence of variables
Date: Wed, 21 Mar 2018 07:08:44 +0100

Hi all,

I want to make a variable persistent across Emacs sessions.  How do I do
it?

I know that I can write a form to init-file (or custom-file).  Are there
any facilities in Emacs which support that?  Or should I write them
myself?  A cursorty look at custom-save-all suggests that there are no
high-level functions to "save one particular thing to (custom-file)".
(I could make my variable customizable and use custom-save-variables,
but I do not want to do that - I feel this is too heavy-weight for just
one variable, and I don't even know whether my potential users
know/use/like the customization stuff messing around with their init
file.)

Any ideas?

--
Marcin Borkowski