Re: Persistence of variables

From: Emanuel Berg
Subject: Re: Persistence of variables
Date: Sat, 24 Mar 2018 04:06:41 +0100

Eli Zaretskii wrote:

>> From: Rolf Ade <rolf@pointsman.de>
>> Date: Thu, 22 Mar 2018 02:36:56 +0100

>> > We have append-to-file, which can do this out of the box.
>>
>> I'm sorry to nit, but Emanuels
>> write-string-to-file differs from
>> append-to-file in that it ensures the file
>> includes (only) string while append-to-file,
>> well, appends string to the file at the end,
>> if it exists.
>
> And I'm sorry to nit back, but creating an
> empty file is trivial, in which case
> append-to-file will do the same job.
>
> More to the point, I think this feature of
> append-to-file is largely unknown, which is
> why I made a point of mentioning it. (Btw,
> write-region supports a very
> similar feature.)

1) topic drift isn't OT unless its OT

2) one would even suspect - if Manny wasn't
   such a skilled programmer - he would have
   written that function because he didn't
   *know* of the append-to-file-use! But of
   course that seems completely unthinkable

    You can fire your arrows from the tower of
    Babylon. But you can NEVER strike God!

--
underground experts united
http://user.it.uu.se/~embe8573