Re: Question about memory usage

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: Question about memory usage
Date: Tue, 03 Apr 2018 18:16:09 +0300

> From: Stefan Monnier <monnier@iro.umontreal.ca>
> Date: Tue, 03 Apr 2018 10:27:56 -0400
>
> > As I said: maybe I misunderstand what you are asking.  So let me say
> > something that perhaps better matches your question: a temporary
> > buffer has its undo turned off, but setting buffer-undo-list to nil
> > turns this on again, so inserting a character into the buffer conses
> > stuff onto the undo-list.
>
> Yes, but that undo-list is local to the buffer, so once we kill the
> buffer (at the end of each iteration) this should be reclaimable.

Why do you think it isn't reclaimed?

AFAIU, the issue was to explain why the memory footprint grows,
nothing was said about how much of that memory is free for reuse.  My
point is that activating the undo-list would use more of the "normal"
heap memory, in contrast to using only/mostly buffer text memory
without that.