Re: Any way to control which articles Gnus summary shows by default?

From: Eric Abrahamsen
Subject: Re: Any way to control which articles Gnus summary shows by default?
Date: Wed, 04 Apr 2018 15:30:19 +0800

> Emanuel Berg <moasen@zoho.com> writes:
>
>> Interesting but, isn't this exactly what happens when you tick an
>> article? So is there some side-effect that is undesired for this
>> purpose or why don't you want to use it?
>
> I still try to find a good workflow for my Inbox.  In the past, I used
> to tick nearly all articles, or make them unread, just to make them
> appear the next time I select the group.
>
> What I want in general is more control: I want to decide myself how Gnus
> decides which articles it presents to me when I select a group.  In
> particular, I want to have it depend on the information present in the
> registry.
>

>> What do you mean by "set" article?
>
> I wrote "set unread" or so and meant "make the article unread".
>

>> BTW `M M i' is undefined for me so maybe it is a new feature in Emacs
>> 25 or did you configure that?
>
> It's a feature when you enable the Gnus registry:
>
>   (info "(gnus) Store custom flags and keywords")
>
> Seems not many people use it so far, though.
>

>> If you indeed got it to work, how about adding it to some hook/advice
>> each time you enter a group?
>
> I think you shouldn't need a hack to do this kind of thing.  A hack
> would probably call `gnus-summary-limit', but it would be better if it
> would be configurable out of the box.  Which I think is not the case.
> The code responsible for group selection is quite complex, but I have
> the impression that these things are hardcoded.

I agree that the process should be made more flexible, and would be
happy to help work on a better solution that we can add to Gnus. That
would happen at my typical pace of code contribution, though, which is
best measured in months :)

Some might think Gnus is over-customizable, but some aspects of
customization, like posting styles, is both flexible and usable. It
would be nice to provide similar access for group article selection,
which is another core aspect of Gnus usage behavior.