RE: ESC vs Meta for shifted keys

From: Drew Adams
Subject: RE: ESC vs Meta for shifted keys
Date: Thu, 12 Apr 2018 09:02:08 -0700 (PDT)

> It looks deliberate to me (and sensible).
> Only the global bindings were changed:
>
> -(global-set-key [M-right]  'forward-word)
> +(global-set-key [M-right]  'right-word)
>  (define-key esc-map [right] 'forward-word)
> -(global-set-key [M-left]   'backward-word)
> +(global-set-key [M-left]   'left-word)
>  (define-key esc-map [left] 'backward-word)

Right, and that's I expected too.

And Eli basically confirms that it was deliberate,
but doesn't recall just why it was done.  (Depending
on what "mistake" might mean, he perhaps also allowed
for it to have just been an oversight.)

The bottom line is that it's not clear why it
was done, and it's not clear what the right
behavior/choice would be now.

These are only default bindings, so whatever
choice is made it's not the end of the world.