Re: ESC vs Meta for shifted keys

From: Emanuel Berg
Subject: Re: ESC vs Meta for shifted keys
Date: Sun, 15 Apr 2018 22:04:12 +0200

Bob Proulx wrote:

>> Here is how to disable caps and do something
>> else with it in X:
>>
>>     setxkbmap -option caps:none  # disable caps lock
>>     xmodmap -e 'keycode 66=a'    # rebind CAPS (66)
>
> I don't want to disable the key. I simply
> remap capslock into a control key.

I mean, you can disable the CAPS function and
do something else with it. Here, it outputs 'a'
but you can put your shell do do something,
execute a function for example, based on the
key that is outputted. But then 'a' is probably
a poor choise as you'd want that for normal use
still :)

> I never used this keyboard in real life and
> so only have the photo to go upon. The arrow
> keys are g=up, h=down, j=left, k=right.
> I don't see an Escape key anywhere on it.
> Perhaps someone who used it might know and
> comment. That would be awesome. It's quite
> the keyboard.

I once had I Sun keyboard with a whole extra
set of keys to the left of the Ctrl, Shift,
Caps Lock, Tab, '`', and Esc keys' column.
At first I was excited about them, and
I programmed them to do various things.
But soon I realized it was meaningless because
it was better to just use shortcuts instead of
moving your hand that "far" to hit a single
key. At that point, disappointed, I used my
angle grinder to dispose of that part of
the keyboard.

--
underground experts united
http://user.it.uu.se/~embe8573