Re: Fwd: emacs 25.1 on AIX: no gui

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: Fwd: emacs 25.1 on AIX: no gui
Date: Sat, 21 Apr 2018 10:22:14 +0300

> From: Burkhard Schultheis <burkhard.schultheis@web.de>
> Date: Fri, 20 Apr 2018 11:25:41 +0200
>
> I'm using emacs for about 20 years and now I have a problem I never had:
> The new installed emacs 25.1 from bull does not start his gui (AIX 7.2).
> Of course, I have installed all needed packages including
> emacs-X11-25.1-1.aix6.1.ppc.rpm and other X11 programs are working
> normally. But if I start emacs, it starts in the terminal window. I've
> already tried emacs -d <DISPLAY>, but without success.

When you start Emacs, do you see any messages in the echo area or in
the *Messages* buffer that could be related to the issue?

Is $DISPLAY set in the environment?  What about $TERM?

Do previous versions of emacs-x11 from the same site start GUI
sessions on the same AIX system?

If nothing helps or gives a clue, step with a debugger through the
function init_display (defined on dispnew.c), and see what is going on
there.

P.S.  This kind of issue should be discussed on the bug tracker, not
here.  Please use "M-x report-emacs-bug RET" to report it, and then
follow up with the details.

Thanks.