Re: Default value of recenter-redisplay

From: Amos Bird
Subject: Re: Default value of recenter-redisplay
Date: Sun, 29 Apr 2018 22:47:10 +0800

Hi, I just encountered this today. Removing the (recenter) call makes the issue
go away. Thanks!

John Shahid <jvshahid@gmail.com> writes:

Hi all,

Today I decided to tackle a flicker issue that happens when the flycheck
error list is displayed for the current buffer(i.e. by calling
`flycheck-list-errors' interactively). It turns out the flickering is
caused by a call to recenter[1] that happens inside a flycheck
post-command-hook[2]. Setting `recenter-redisplay' to nil fixes the
issue.

I'm wondering why the default value of the variable is set to `tty' ? Also, is it safe to set the variable to `nil' ? If it is safe, can we change the default value to `nil' in order to have a better terminal
experience ?

p.s. I'm using emacs version 27.0.50, although I don't think that will make a difference given that the value of the variable hasn't changed in
a while.

thanks,

-js

[1]: https://github.com/flycheck/flycheck/blob/master/flycheck.el#L4208 [2]: https://github.com/flycheck/flycheck/blob/master/flycheck.el#L4360