Re: Default value of recenter-redisplay

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: Default value of recenter-redisplay
Date: Sun, 29 Apr 2018 18:18:38 +0300

> From: John Shahid <jvshahid@gmail.com>
> Date: Sun, 29 Apr 2018 14:10:29 +0000
>
> I'm wondering why the default value of the variable is set to `tty' ?

Because one important interactive use of 'recenter' is to redraw the
screen to eliminate display corruptions due to all kinds of unrelated
messages being dumped on the console.  When this variable and the
related feature was introduced, RMS explicitly asked not to change the
then default behavior on TTY's, see

  http://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/emacs-devel/2009-06/msg00416.html

> Also, is it safe to set the variable to `nil' ?

If you don't care about fixing corrupted display on TTYs (or never
experienced that), you can safely change it to nil.

> If it is safe, can we change the default value to `nil' in order to
> have a better terminal experience ?

Why does it have to change by default?  I generally find arguments
about default values to be waste of time and energy, since anyone who
doesn't like the default can change it for them.