Re: How to Map Alt key globally

From: Tim Johnson
Subject: Re: How to Map Alt key globally
Date: Sat, 5 May 2018 11:30:14 -0800

* Yuri Khan <yurivkhan@gmail.com> [180505 11:12]:
> On Sun, May 6, 2018 at 1:50 AM Tim Johnson <tim@akwebsoft.com> wrote:
>
> > > The following error message
> > > global-set-key: Key sequence M-a starts with non-prefix key ESC
> > >
> > > Is generated when I attempted to execute
> > > (global-set-key (kbd "M-a") 'move-beginning-of-line)
>
> >    :) What have I done? And how do I trace It?
>
> It looks like you have bound something to ESC. What does C-h k ESC say?
>
> (Also, are you using a graphical Emacs version, or in terminal?)
  I'm using graphical Emacs 25.3.2 on Ubuntu 16.04
  C-h k ESC waited for another key input. Upon entering the second
  ESC, I get ESC-ESC is undefined. (should have allowed a third ESC
  for keyboard-escape quit).

  This suggested to me that prior "twiddling" (rather than a
  previously loaded elisp file) had caused this problem.

  So I reloaded the exisiting emacs configuration, and then compiled
  and reloaded the source and the problem is solved.

  I believe that I must have executed something like
  (global-set-key (kbd "C-[") 'foo)
  ;; "C-[" translates to ESC on my system

  which I would guarantee would clobber sequences starting with ESC for sure.
  Sorry, :) Never mind!

--
Tim Johnson