Re: Invalid read syntax: ")"

From: Joost Kremers
Subject: Re: Invalid read syntax: ")"
Date: Sun, 06 May 2018 20:36:12 +0200

On Sun, May 06 2018, Jean-Christophe Helary wrote:
I have an Invalid read syntax: ")" when I start emacs.

When I do emacs -q and eval-buffer on .emacs.el I get the error again but check-parens does not give me anything there, which is the only file that I use for customizations.

Any idea how to diagnose that ?

When I get this sort of thing, I find it helpful, to use `backward-sexp` (bound to `C-M-b') at the end of some random defuns or other top-level declarations. At some point I'll run into a declaration where `C-M-b' doesn't take me to the expected position. Looking at indentation also helps, sometimes.

--
Joost Kremers
Life has its moments