Re: How to over-ride locate-domination-stop-dir-regex

From: robjsargent
Subject: Re: How to over-ride locate-domination-stop-dir-regex
Date: Sat, 19 May 2018 13:58:37 -0700 (PDT)

Yes, agreed: setting/overriding locate-DOMINATING-stop-dir-regex is the issue
(cursed auto-completion in the subject line aside)
I have set it in my .emacs using both
;; I’m at a place where copy-paste doesn’t work so these are unreliable
 (custom-set-variables  ‘(locate-dominating-stop-dir-regex (purecopy
“\\`/uufs/chpc.utah.edu/home/camp-group1/\\’”))
; using the above a restart of emacs, C-h v says the value of stop-dir-regex is
as I set it
;; or
(defvar locate-dominating-stop-dir-regex
“\\`/uufs/chpc.utah.edu/home/camp-group1/\\’”)
; but here in a restart of emacs C-h v does not have stop-dir-regex as my
custom value (it’s the default value)

and neither of those stops locate-dominating-file from looking for files in
/uufs/chpc.utah.edu/home/ directly.  From strace I have seen a three second
delay for each of the 7 various dominating file checks (.svn .git .bzr et al).
From elp I have stepped through locate-dominating-file and had a success
returned from the string-match on my regex vs the tested directory name and
then the next call to locate-dominating-file uses the built in value (from
files.elc)  not mine (from .emacs) and does not stop the directory search,
hence it crosses the automount divide and takes 3 seconds.

I hope I’ve addressed your questions.  I’m desparate to get this resolved.