Re: General advice beyond Org

From: edgar
Subject: Re: General advice beyond Org
Date: Wed, 23 May 2018 04:04:24 +0000

Message: 5
Date: Mon, 21 May 2018 05:39:07 +0200
From: Marcin Borkowski <mbork@mbork.pl>
To: edgar@openmail.cc
Cc: help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org

And very untrue.

THANKS!

It helps to develop a rational attitude to morality: you do not have
influence on everything, not even all the results of your actions, and
hence you do not bear responsibility for what you don't influence.  (Of
course, that doesn't mean you don't bear any responsibility for what you
_do_ influence.)

Do you mean pragmatic or short-sighted by rational? I don't think that philosophers are necessarily irrational :) (to name a few).

For instance, you go to the bakery, buy the bread and pay the baker the
money.  He then takes the money and goes to buy a gun to kill his wife.
Are you responsible?  I don't think so (at least under normal
circumstances).

Ah, but you showed a queen of diamonds to the baker, who was conditioned to kill as soon as he saw that! :P LoL. Agree.

(BTW, by "rational attitude to morality" I mean "attitude to morality
which takes morality seriously, and at the same time takes seriously the
_reality_, i.e., not some nice-looking theory which does not work in
practice, nor any way to just say that morality doesn't matter.  IOW,
"rational attitude to morality" is just "the Catholic attitude to
morality".)

Yes. I think that this is closer to what I wanted to say earlier.

Again, too simplistic and not true.

FWIW, I work in a small software house which mostly uses open-source
software (which is not the same as free software, but has a big
intersection with it).  We use Node.js, Vagrant, Ansible, PostgreSQL...
And our boss encourages us to "give back" to the larger community by bug
reports, pull requests and open-sourcing small utilities we write.

I think that it's worth a lot! Shut! if half the companies did that...

*Very true*.  We have one person using MacOS.  Every time there's some
problem, someone says "It's because it's Apple."  Yes, it's a joke, but
it's symptomatic.  We also run a small, jocular version of "editor war"
between Emacs (me) and Sublime Text (most of the other developers).

I like these type of running gags myself :) .

Just my 2 cents.

Can I pay back? :)

--
Marcin Borkowski
http://mbork.pl

Thanks Marcin!

ONLY AT VFEmail! - Use our Metadata Mitigator to keep your email out of the
NSA's hands!
$24.95 ONETIME Lifetime accounts with Privacy Features! 15GB disk! No bandwidth quotas! Commercial and Bulk Mail Options!