Re: General advice beyond Org

From: Marcin Borkowski
Subject: Re: General advice beyond Org
Date: Sat, 26 May 2018 06:14:59 +0200

On 2018-05-23, at 21:19, Stefan Monnier <monnier@iro.umontreal.ca> wrote:

>> We are talking about people's freedom.
>
> "Freedom" is a vague concept, applied in very subjective ways.

On the contrary, I think that freedom is a very clear and objective
concept.  What is sometimes vague is how we should apply the clear
concept to a particular situation.

> It's not like you can increase freedom in some respect without reducing
> it elsewhere.  So "rational" doesn't have much to do with it.

I think the two issues are orthogonal.  "Rationality" is about using the
reason.  What else should you use to decide what is the ethical thing to
do?  Emotions are sometimes right and sometimes misleading.

Also, I'm not sure whether increasing freedom in one thing must imply
reducing it in another one.

Best,

--
Marcin Borkowski